Donald Trump’s Rugged First 100 Days
April 17, 2017
Pitiful. Just pitiful.
We are 12 days away from Donald Trump’s 100th as president, but it isn’t too early to proclaim his start as the poorest in the modern era. Consider:
- Trump’s approval rating stands at 41%, according to Gallup’s latest tracking, which is lower than Barack Obama’s 62%, George W. Bush’s 59%, and Bill Clinton’s 52% at this same point in time of their presidencies.
- Trump’s first substantial policy change — his travel ban — remains tied up in the courts.
- His biggest early legislative priority — repealing and replacing Obamacare — couldn’t get off the ground in the GOP-controlled House of Representatives, even as Trump and Republicans have tried to revive it.
- Republicans are divided on how to proceed on his second-biggest legislative priority — comprehensive tax reform.
- And the GOP’s performance in the first special congressional election of the Trump Era was underwhelming, with an even higher-profile special election taking place tomorrow.